Monday 14 June 2010

More Than A Club


With the World Cup starting and beginning to rile up people all over Europe (as well as the influence of the 4 boys I was with) I decided to take a tour of the famous Barca Football Stadium. Being the largest stadium in Europe it can hold 98,772 people and it serves as a symbol that is vital and cherished among the people.

When I first imagined visiting the stadium I thought we would be able to walk right in and glance around for 20 minutes. I quickly learned how important this stadium is to Barcelona and had to purchase a 17-euro ticket in order to take a look inside. We decided to do the self-tour guide and followed the marked off ropes throughout the stadium. What struck me was the shrine and glorification throughout the stadium that it devoted to its players.

“Mes que un club” is the slogan for the FC Barcelona football club, it means more than a club. The idea behind this slogan can be dated back to 1908 when the founder, Joan Gamper, was determine to save the club from being put to an end. This slogan redirected the future of the team and still serves as the clubs’ main focus after it was coined as their official slogan in 1968. The reason the club was founded, according to Gamper, was “for it to be a pro-Catalan club and actively serve its country.”

The political role and influence of the club are still as strong now as they were when it was founded; the team represents Catalan identity and nationalism. However, for those outside of Barcelona, the team serves to protect democratic rights and freedoms. This identity of the club is so deeply embedded within all of those that support it, it even states in the club statutes that the second objective of the club is “complementarily, the promotion and participation in social, cultural, artistic, scientific or recreational activities that are adequate and necessary for maintaining the public representation and projection that the club enjoys, the fruit of a permanent tradition of loyalty and service to club members, citizens and Catalonia”.

Unlike professional teams in the United States the teams that play in the World Cup do not get paid. To me this shows how much they take pride in this sport and how deep the meaning behind this sport is for them. The sense that I got from seeing the stadium and becoming indulged in the European atmosphere during the World Cup is that this team represents a part of their identity and their territory. On the FC Barcelona official website, it mentions how the team was identified with a certain political system during the Franco regime and fans went on strike and even refused to take trams after a game. Football is not only a means of entertainment, it has become so much a part of their culture and identity that certain beliefs and ideas that the team supports reflects their actions. The Barca football club truly is more than a club, it’s a reflection of their culture.

The FC Barcelona website gives a lot of information not only on the club, but about it’s history and what the club represents to it’s fans. http://www.fcbarcelona.cat

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading about the Barcelona Football Club! I find it so interesting how this football team can hold such an influential role in their culture and everyday lives. The quote that is written in the stands so so true. They are MORE than just a club, they are a landmark of the Barcelona culture just as the Eiffel Tower is for Paris. I also find it amazing to look at how different these club teams are compared to our professional teams. These players for Barca do not get paid. They are playing because of their extreme passion for the sport and their city. I think this fascinating and i have LOVED being able to learn about and experience the world cup so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is blog was really insightful it gave me sense as though Kathleen really get a sense for her surroundings and dove right into the culture.
    It gives good information for someone like me who might want to go there and visit. Reading this blog makes me want to visit the stadium just for the experience and feeling that she gave through her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really neat that you got to visit the stadium. It was something I wanted to do but never had the time. Being in Barcelona for the beginning of the world cup was definitely an experience. To be honest, if I was in the US right now I probably wouldn't watch a single soccer game. However, because it is such a huge part of Spanish and European culture I have found myself to be extremely involved in all of the games! I think it is so interesting that the Barca team is not paid. That is such a vast difference to sports in America. God forbid a professional in the US get paid less then a million a game or something. That stadium is such an icon facility it is really great you got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen great blog! I grew up in a family of soccer players. My two brothers and I have been playing soccer since we were four years old. When I asked my brothers what they wanted from Europe all they asked for was a Barcelona football jersey. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a jersey, but when I arrived in Barcelona I realized that football was more than just a sport. I believe your blog perfectly described what the sport meant to the Catalan people in Barcelona. Your connection to geographical concepts was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen, I would first like to start off by saying that I am offended that I am only 1 of the "4 Boys" mentioned in this blog. Obviously, Braford, Brian, and Taylor are likewise disappointed in your lack of recognition towards us. Although I had a great time with you, I am saddened that I did not have a greater impact on your trip to enure being mentioned in your blog.

    That aside, I very much enjoyed reading your blog. The way you mixed history and personal narrative was very well done. With the detail you used in this blog it was as if I was there. I also remember feeling the passion and intensity when walking through the stadium. Even though it isn't as big as the Ohio State stadium, I too believe that there is twice as much passion for the team. Not only because it is fun to support the home team but it stands for Catalan people everywhere. GO BARCA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your blog about the Barcelona football team. I like how you mentioned how important this team is to the Catalan region and how it is actually "More then a Club." I'm glad that you were able to get a feel of how influential this team is around the world. I also felt the same way and loved the stadium so much that I bought a Barcelona jersey even though I didn't think I was going to buy one before I saw the stadium.

    ReplyDelete