Monday 14 June 2010

When in Barcelona..


When in Barcelona, you have to stop in St. Joseph Market, best known as Mercat de la Boqueria. This market was first opened in 1836, and still today is one of the most popular markets in town. It is located on Las Ramblas, which means it tends to cater to not only some locals but also many tourists.

When I first walked into La Boqueria, I was in pure shock. It was the first market I had encountered in Spain. The magnificent architecture combined with the chaotic yet systematic atmosphere of the Catalan market transpired to be something I had never experienced before in my life. Walking through the market, my senses were in full gear. The many scents, both good and bad, were looming in the air while the sounds of vendors talking to customers or yelling not to touch their produce could be heard throughout Las Ramblas. My friends and I were particularly fascinated by the fantastic colors and presentation of all the goods in the market.

Although I felt a little bit disconnected from the vendors and locals because of the touristy atmosphere, I could tell that each separate vendor was extremely proud of their work and what they were presenting to the public. As the many tourists, including myself, walked by taking picture after picture I couldn’t help but wonder if they were frustrated or displeased by our actions. However, they seemed to be used to this environment, and often times even made jokes or took pictures with us.

It was intriguing to able to look around the market and learn about the culture of Barcelona and its people through the products being sold. This market and the interactions that took place inside clearly represented a way of life to the Catalan people. However, because of the touristy environment and the vendors' attempts to cater and sell to the tourist as well it was difficult to completely understand the relationships between the locals and vendors in this Barcelona market.

This relationship was noticeably displayed in the markets we visited in Valencia. From the second I stepped foot in Valencia, I could tell the city was drastically different than the rowdy fanatical Barcelona. It was definitely not as touristy, which is something I loved. I was really able to capture a sense of place and territory in Valencia as we toured through the city, the neighborhoods, the port, the sea, and last the monuments or cropland that connect them all.

The markets were one place in particular where I was able to gain an understanding of the territory I was encountering and the relationships that make up that territory or place. Once again when I walked into the market I was amazed. However, it was no longer the “first time” amazement, it was the amazement for the sense of community I felt when I entered. No longer was there a touristy atmosphere. This was all real, and I soonrealized how significant and special these markets were to the Valencian people. Again there was a sense of pride for their products, but now it was not only the vendors who conveyed this pride but the locals themselves. Their community was based on support for these small businesses or vendors, which I found so captivating!

I instantly had a flashback to my mom and I at Costco buying groceries and how distant and impersonal our interactions were within the store. This was not the case in Valencia. It is a completely different world in Valencia, and I truly enjoyed feeling this sense of community interaction and support for one another. It was, in other words, very refreshing. I can vividly remember one conversation I had with a woman who was selling all sorts of vegetables. As I was purchasing my tomatoes and avocados to make guacamole I found myself engaging in a conversation with her. She told me that she has been a vendor at this market for 20 years now and she has sold to some of the same local families for all these years. She called them “family”, and stated that is how she gets her business, through those friends telling other friends. She definitely inspired me with her words and her love and passion for her job.

All in all, the markets throughout Spain were something I will always remember. I was able to indulge myself in their culture, and I felt that by stepping away from the main tourist attractions for a bit. I acquired a greater appreciation for these markets, the territory they represent and the community within it.


http://www.boqueria.info/

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/monuments/boqueria_market

No comments:

Post a Comment